Saturday, December 12, 2009

Visualization and Catharsis

I used to believe that I could offload my troubles on God. Maybe I still do. No, I think I do.

But I haven't been listening. A barrier's there now; all my sins accumulated into a black, rotting dust sheet on the skylight.

So I have to find some other way. The difference between worrying and meditating is the focal point.

Visualization is powerful. Not in the mystical sense, nor even in the mental sense; but it's useful.

I worry a lot; sometimes too much, and I'll cry myself to sleep. But now I have another way to get my mind off it.

Close your eyes and hold out your hand. Look at your hand. Imagine a rock, a crystal in its natural form. It's round and rugged, black and spotted.

Chipping at it produces a globe of facets, disarranged but beautiful in its own way.

Careful further refinement produces a crystal of eight equal sides, then of six equal sides.

This crystal begins to spin on the tip of one finger; by the time you can't see it anymore, the tip of the finger is at the center of where the crystal used to be.


And who is to say that it was imaginary? We all might be figments in the mind of God; for certain, we are held together by the exertion of His will. And we are made in His image, though we might be nought but images.

No comments:

Post a Comment